Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students are those who self-identify upon enrolment via a positive response to the question “Are you an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander?”
Resources relevant to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students on the NCSEHE website:
- Australian Indigenous Mentoring Experience (AIME) — Fusing coaching principles and mentoring, AIME’s team of over 100 staff work with universities and businesses to engage and support Indigenous high school students so that they may finish school at the same rate as every Australian child.
- Indigenous scholarships portal: Scholarship opportunities for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Australians — A list of scholarships available for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students of, or currently studying at, universities, TAFEs or registered training organisations (RTOs). The Indigenous Scholarships Portal is delivered by the Aurora Education Foundation.
- Aurora Education Foundation: The Aspiration Initiative (TAI) — The Aspiration Initiative is a collaboration of the Aurora Project, the University of Canberra and the Charlie Perkins Trust, and also works with the Roberta Sykes Indigenous Education Foundation. TAI aims to increase opportunities and support for Indigenous Australians. It works to change the current narrative of Indigenous education, whereby outstanding achievement is seen as the exception, rather than the norm. TAI projects include international scholarships, the Aurora Indigenous Scholars International Study Tour, the Indigenous Scholarships website and TAI’s academic enrichment program for high school students.
- Yarn Safe — An initiative of Headspace (National Youth Mental Health Foundation), Yarn Safe offers Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander mental health and wellbeing information and support.
- Whole of Community Engagement Initiative — The Whole of Community Engagement initiative worked with six remote Indigenous communities across the Northern Territory to explore community educational perspectives, and find ways that strengthen pathways into higher education for remote Indigenous peoples.