Regions Rising 2019 — Canberra
Old Parliament House, 18 King George Terrace, Parkes, ACT 2600
4 April 2019 - 5 April 2019
Regional Australia Institute
The theme of this year’s Canberra summit is Regional Futures which will capture the key issues impacting regional communities. Key drivers of regional development will be discussed through an economic and social lens.
Headlining the Canberra event are the Deputy Prime Minister, The Hon. Michael McCormack MP who will provide his vision for Regional Australia and launch RAI’s latest work The Future of Regional Jobs, and the Deputy Leader of The Nationals, Senator The Hon. Bridget McKenzie.
Other speakers include:
- The Hon. Alan Tudge MP, Minister for Cities, Urban Infrastructure and Population
- Stephen Jones MP, Shadow Minister for Regional Communications and Regional Services, Territories and Local Government
- Kate Carnell, Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombusman
- Dr Nicholas Gruen, Economist
- Marnie Baker, Managing Director, Bendigo and Adelaide Bank
- Gabrielle Chan, Author of Rusted Off
- Cr Samanth McIntosh, Chair Regional Capitals Australia and City of Ballarat Mayor
- The Hon. Dr Denis Napthine, Former Premier of Victoria and Chair Expert Advisory Panel on Regional, Rural and Remote Education
- Rob Kerin, Former Premier of South Australia
- Prof Helen Bartlett, Chair Regional Universities Network
- Helen Emmerson, CEO Southern Cross Care
- Mark Diamond, CEO National Rural Health Alliance
- Peter Strong, CEO Council of Small Business Organisations Australia
- Katie McRobert, General Manager Australian Farm Institute
- Judy Slatyer, CEO Red Cross Australia
- Dr Kim Houghton, co-CEO, RAI
Participants will then contribute to an afternoon Policy Hack, facilitated to strategise the key areas of concern. This session will debate the content of the earlier political presentations, and bring insights from industry to ensure a collaborative and purposeful action list can be delivered to both sides of government to consider for the future.
The four policy hack topics are:
- Regional Jobs
- Regional Health
- Population Strategy
- Place-Based Programs
Information on the hack topics can be found on the Regions Rising website.
Masterclass — 5 April (sold out)
The Regional Policy Masterclass – Frontier provides an opportunity for policy makers and regional leaders to contextualise and understand best practises in policy development. High level and experienced speakers will share their insights for advancing policy in Australia. Case studies will be used to shed light on both good and bad examples, and the session will also pose live policy problems that will be workshopped through an action learning platform.